Saturday, April 15, 2006

beat the heat!

*

Things to do to beat the summer heat (or how to deal with it). Especially now that it’s Holy Week, where the malls are closed and local TV stations are signed off for 2 days. I have a few things in mind:

1. hit the beach – now’s the perfect time to go swimming! it’s hot and you have a few days vacation, so grab your swimsuits and chill. If you don’t mind an overcrowded beach (and I do mean OVERCROWDED), I would suggest of course that you go to Boracay. But if you want a peaceful and serene getaway, there are a few places in Batangas that offer the same comfort.

2. DVD Marathon-ing – go ahead and stack up on your DVDs, may it be pirated or original. You have 4 days anyway to catch up on the movies and TV series that you have missed. My sister went to MCS the other day and bought CSI Season 5 for me and Six Feet Under Season 3 for her. My other sister also bought Desperate Housewives Season 2 for her. Plus we still have unwatched episodes of South Park, The Simpsons, The 4400, etc etc. okaaay, so we have a whole lotta dvd watching to do!

3. Bisita iglesia – for all the devoted Catholics out there. It’s Holy Week anyway. But if you’re not a practicing catholic like me, think of it as another excuse to go out of town, where instead of hitting the beach, you get to visit all the beautiful churches outside your hometown. 2 years ago, margo, ninang ne, tito ody, ariel, and I went to Ilocos for 5 days for our bisita iglesia. We visited all these amazing churches around Ilocos as well as other tourist spots. Paoay Church is my personal favorite. We stayed at this private place by the beach so margo and I got to swim as well during our stay there.

4. internet galore! – this includes playing PC games, updating your blog (ehem ehem), downloading songs/videos, IM-ing your online family and friends, etc etc. personally, I consider this as one of my “summer plans” since I don’t get to use my PC everyday. Hehehe! Babaw noh?

5. reserve a room at a hotel, check-in, and sleep – well, this is for people who can afford such luxuries and are not blessed with air-conditioning at their homes at the same time. But isn’t it ironic for people who are that well-off not to have air-conditioning at home? Anyway, I really did consider this, not because I’m rich, but because of the other reason… WE DON’T HAVE AIR-CON! Our house transforms into a hell hole during summer. Regardless of the number of electric fans you have at home, when all they blast into your face is hot air, then you’ve gained nothing more but a new found respect for “pandesal”. so I thought why not spend 24 hours in the only place in the city where you can sleep wrapped under the covers because the room gets way too cold even though its summer… in a hotel! Yanee also had the same idea and I told her that if she’d told me that a little earlier, then we could’ve pushed through.

6. hit the gym – the more you sweat, the more you lose all those calories you’ve stocked up while you were on vacation. Hahaha! And it’s hot, so you sweat more. Besides, you don’t have any schedules to follow so you can go to the gym anytime you want, and stay there for as long as you like.

7. reward yourself with a relaxing massage – aaahhh this is the life! After months/days/weeks of working your ass off, don’t you think it’s about time to go to the spa and let the therapists “massage” all those stress out?

8. read a book – now’s the time to finally start and try to finish a book you’ve been meaning to read since last year. If reading a book at home without falling asleep is considered a major challenge to you, then I suggest lounging at your favorite coffee shop. You might want to choose a quiet neighborhood if you don’t want distractions of any kind while you sink yourself into your story and indulging in grande iced non-fat caramel macchiato.

9. learn how to cook – for people who are lacking the needed cooking skills, then now is an opportunity to crash your kitchen and experiment! If your finished product comes out ok, then congratulations, you have learned to prepare a new meal (and get to eat it too!). if it’s a total disaster, then, uhm, maybe you can let your dog eat it. Eheheeh…

10. sleep – everyday in your life since you started working, you complain that you lack sleep. It even came to a point that you thought you had insomnia. Well, you are given 4 days… go ahead and catch up on your sleep, if you don’t mind the heat. You can take my suggestion of checking in at a hotel to sleep, if you’re up for it. Ü



what have I been doing so far? #2, #4, and #10. shet! ugaling baboy, as we call it. Waaay too bad! #5 was really an option, but i decided to back out. I won’t spend that much money alone just to sleep! and yeah, I’ve been doing a little of #8 as well.

Hopefully in a day or two I get to do #7…

-----
*picture of Christian Klien's car

No comments: